Thursday, December 20, 2012

Lalo Guerrero - Pancho Claus

Τα κάλαντα των Chicanos !



Twas the Night before Christmas
and all through the casa,
mama she was busy
preparing the masa
to make the tamales
for the tamaladas
and all the ingredients
for the enchiladas.

Papa in the front room
with all the muchachas
was dancing the mambo
and doing the cha cha.

My brothers and sisters
were out in the hall,
listening to Elvis
singing rock and roll.

When all of a sudden there came such a racket, I jumped out of bed and I put on my jacket.
I looked out the window and in front of the house, was my old uncle Pedro as drunk as a louse.
He ran in the house and he grabbed a guitara and let out a yell “ay ay ay ay” and sang Guadalajara.

I was beginning to wonder
as I lay there alone,
how old Santa Claus
was to visit my home.
With all of this noise,
they would scare him away,
when all of a sudden,
I heard someone say:

“Hah, Pedro, Chuchito,  Gordito, Jose!
 Get up there you bums, or you don’t get no hay!”

Then to my wondering eyes did appear, eight cute little donkeys instead of reindeer.
They pulled a carreta that was full of toys, for all of us good little girls and boys.
The fat little driver waved his big sombrero, and said “Merry Christmas, Feliz Ano Nuevo”

Then I heard him sing
“I am Santa’s cousin
from south of the border.
My name’s Pancho Claus
and I brought what you ordered.
I heard him exclaim
as he drove past the porches,
“Merry Christmas to all, and to all Buenos Noches!”

No comments: