Workshop at Theatre Dionysus & Apollo
Friedrich Nietzsche and The Birth of Tragedy (1872)
Teacher: Marcos G. Breuer, PhD
Six meetings to read and analyze one of the key texts of modern aesthetics.
- Friedrich Nietzsche: an introduction
- The Birth of Tragedy and Nietzsche’s early writings
- Nietzsche and Arthur Schopenhauer
- Nietzsche and Richard Wagner
- The ancient Greek culture (art, philosophy, mythology, etc.)
The discussion will be held in English, but participants can read the bibliography in their own languages. (There are good translations into the major languages.)
At the end of the seminar, the participants will have the chance to produce a text or an artistic piece (an essay, a short fiction, a video, a painting, etc.), as a way of expressing and recreating one aspect of Nietzsche’s early philosophy. The material will be then presented at the theater’s exhibition room.