Thursday, October 17, 2013

"Wherever you are do you really think so, Alice?"



PETER HAMMILL
"Alice (Letting Go)"

When you told me that you loved me
I had no reason to doubt it
So I went about my life in such a selfish way
And never really thought about it.
Oh do I have to let go?
Oh I had my chance and I've blown it,
'cause I loved you so much all these years
And somewhere in myself, between my pride and fear
Just couldn't find a way to show it.
I know it doesn't give you any joy
To give me such pain
But you're in love with him now, my old friend -
I know all about that, there's no need to explain
But why do I have to say goodbye
When I love you still, and can only feel that I'm dying?
Still, every word I say just seems to come out wrong
And none of them deny the fact that you are gone
And that I'm left here, crying.
What's the good of songs anyway?
They're just exercises in solitude.
I should have been ready for today -
I always prayed you wouldn't go,
But I suppose I always knew you would.
I suppose you say to him now
"I know that some day you'll leave me"
Just like you did to me, and I'd deny it,
But you wouldn't believe me.
Ooh do I have to let go of you
Ooh I don't think that I can do it -
You're always going to be the guardian of my soul,
And I'll always have a part of you to call my own,
How stupid that I never proved it.
Oh I know I'll never let go
Oh because I don't want to be just your friend.
We spent seven years together in our own way,
I can't believe the story ends like this today...
Wherever you are do you really think so, Alice?

No comments: